Thursday, February 4, 2010

Seminary: 67 Alma 37-38

Background: Alma is giving his final counsel/PPI to his sons. He discussed his conversion story with Helaman and then moved to give him counsel and to give counsel to his second son Shiblon.


Show Book of Mormon video 13, “God has delivered me”

Going through times of struggle can be a challenge

Elder Marvin J. Ashton:

“How often have we ourselves said or have we heard others exclaim in times of crisis or trouble, ‘I just don’t know where to turn’?

“If we will just use it, a gift is available to all of us-the gift of looking to God for direction. Here is an avenue of strength, comfort, and guidance”
(The Measure of Our Hearts [1991], 18).
Show video “Learn in Thy Youth to Keep the Commandments”, President Gordon B. Hinckley

Alma 37:35

What does this verse and President Hinckley’s words mean?

What are your thoughts about this?

How much easier is it to keep commandments if we start when we are young?

Alma 37:32

What did Alma say that Helaman should have an everlasting hatred toward?

Why should be hate sin?

Is choosing not to participate in since enough?

Why?

How can sin damage a person’s life?

Why, can’t we just repent?

Can’t we be just as clean if we sin and repent than if we do not sin in the first place?

Alma 37:33-34

Why do you think it is important to be humble?

In what ways can humility help you better keep the commandments?

Elder Boyd K. Packer:

“When I was president of the New England Mission, the Tabernacle Choir was to sing at the world’s fair in Montreal. The choir had one day unscheduled and suggested a concert in New England. One of the industrial leaders there asked for the privilege of sponsoring the concert.

“Brother Condie and Brother Stewart came to Boston to discuss this matter. We met at the Boston airport and then drove to Attleboro, Massachusetts. Along the way Me. Yeager asked about the concert. He said, ‘I would like to have a reception for the choir members. I could have it either at my home or at my club.’ He wanted to invite his friends who were, of course, the prominent people of New England-indeed, of the nation. He talked of this, and then he asked about serving alcoholic beverages.

“In answering, Brother Stewart said, ‘Well, Mr. Yeager, since it is your home and you are the host, I suppose you could do just as you want to do.’

“’That isn’t what I had in mind,’ this wonderful man said. ‘I don’t want to do what I want to do. I want to do what you want me to do.’

“Somewhere in that spirit is the key to freedom. We should put ourselves in a position before our Father in Heaven and say, individually, ‘I do not want to do what I want to do. I want to do what Thou wouldst have me do.’ Suddenly, like any father, the Lord could say, ‘Well, there is one more of my children almost free from the need of constant supervision.’”
(That All May Be Edified [1982],257).

No comments:

Post a Comment