Thursday, March 25, 2010

Seminary: 82 3 Nephi 11

Background: The people of Nephi just experienced severe catastrophes followed by a period of darkness. They heard a voice that told them they would have been protected if they were righteous. The darkness dispersed and left the people to think over what had occurred.


The people who were left after the destruction were gathered together around the temple discussing the recent events.

3 Nephi11:3-6

Why do you think the people didn’t understand the voice the first two times?

What do you think that it means that they “did open their ears”?

What is the difference between listening and hearing something?

How can we “open our ears” to understand God’s words?

3 Nephi 11:7-11

What does this passage tell us about God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost?

What do you image it would like to be among the Nephites during this experience?

Elder Melvin J. Ballard:

“On this occasion I had sought the Lord,…and that night I received a wonderful manifestation and impression which has never left me. I was carried to this place [the Salt Lake Temple]-into this room….I was told there was another privilege that was to be mine; and I was led into a room where I was informed I was to meet someone. As I entered the room I saw, seated on a raised platform, the most glorious being I have ever conceived of, and was taken forward to be introduced to Him. As I approached He smiled, called my name, and stretched out His hands towards me. If I live to be a million years old I shall never forget that smile. He put His arms around me and kissed me, as He took me into His bosom, and He blessed me until my whole being was thrilled. As He finished I fell at His feet, and there saw the marks of the nails; and as I kissed them, with deep joy swelling through my whole being, I felt that I was in heaven indeed. The feeling that came to my heart then was: Oh! If I could live worthy…so that in the end when I have finished I could go into His presence and receive the feeling that I then had in His presence, I would give everything that I am and ever hope to be!” (in Melvin J. Ballard…Crusader for Righteousness [1966], 66).

3 Nephi 11:12-14

How did the people show their respect towards the Lord?

What did the Lord offer the people?

Why would he offer this to the people?

3 Nephi 11:15-16

What happened next?

About how many people do you think there were, 2,500?

How long would you think this process took?

The Lord showed great patience and love for these people through this event.

After the Lord showed himself to the people so that they knew who he was, what do you think the next logical thing for him to do? (setup his church)

In order to setup his church what was needed? (ordain priesthood and setup leadership)

What did he need to teach his leaders about so that they could show their desires to be members of the church? (about baptism)

3 Nephi 11:21-26

Who should be baptized? (those that repent of their sins and desire to baptized in his name).

How should they be baptized? (in water by someone with the power and authority and in his name)

What are the words that should be used (calling them by name saying having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost, amen.

The Prophet Joseph Smith:

“Baptism is a sign to God, to angels, and to heaven that we do the will of God, and there is no other way beneath the heavens whereby God hath ordained for man to come to Him to be saved, and enter into the Kingdom of God, except faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, and baptism for the remission of sins, and any other course is in vain; then you have the promise of the gift of the Holy Ghost” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 198).
3 Nephi 11:29

When was the last time you were involved in an argument?

What feelings did you have during the argument?

What was the mood after the argument was over?

How did the people on both sides handle the argument?

Why is it that the Lord taught about contention?

Why would Satan want us to contend with each other?

No comments:

Post a Comment